Sunday, 10 June 2012

Children's Birthday Party Hats - A How To

Hi there!  Today I'm writing about how to make your own birthday party hats.  I have a TON of construction paper just screaming to be used!  I also think it's  a cute and personalized touch for a child's birthday party.  Why buy party hats when most of the guests don't wear them anyways...am I right?!   


You might remember way back when in September - I made Sesame Street themed party hats for Ella's second birthday party.  You can check those out here.  On to the party hat instructions!


You will need:
-coffee filter
-construction paper of various colours
-stapler
-tape
-ribbon
-any other craft decorations you would like (glitter, stickers, shaped scissors etc.)


What to do:


You can free-hand it if you want, but I find it's best to trace the shape for your hat from a coffee filter.  I'm not sure what you call this style of filter (basket, cone??), but this is the style you want.  



Gently pull apart the seam of the filter and open it up like this:



Place the opened filter on the construction paper you will be using for the main colour of the hat.  Trace the filter but extrapolate the straight lines from the seams to make a point at the top.  



Here's what I mean by extrapolating the lines and making a point.  This is the shape you want to make a cone birthday hat.



Roll the paper to bring the two straight edges together.  To hold the edges together, I put a staple close to the bottom of the hat.  You can glue or tape the seams if you want, but I have found that staples work best.



Once the first staple is in,  you can line up the edges a little better and add a second staple a bit higher up.



To cover the pointy ends of the staples and add a little extra reinforcement, I put some clear tape on the inside of the hat.



Since Harry turned one-year-old, I decided to go with the number one on all the hats.  I free handed this one and traced it onto some green construction paper.



I also decided to continue with the Milk and Cookies theme, so I added some 'chocolate chips' to the hat...if you have an under-active imagination, the light brown colour of the hat represents the cookie and the dark brown spots represent the chocolate chips.



And here's the back.



Now for the cutest part - the curlicues on top!  I cut out about 6 or 7 strands of ribbon all the same length (about 25 - 30cm).  



Holding all the ribbons together, fold them in the middle and staple so they stay folded.



Now curl those suckers!  To curl ribbon, use a sharp knife or one blade of your scissors and quickly run it across a piece of ribbon - going towards the cut ends.  It's best if you put the blade on the side of the ribbon that curls up.



To attach the ribbon to the hat, stick the stapled end of the ribbon into the small opening at the point of your hat (oops, forgot to mention to leave a small opening at the point of your hat!).  I usually put another piece of clear tape over the stapled end of ribbon on the inside of the hat...but glue would work too.



You might need to play around with the curled ends to make them look 'random' and so they don't all go the same way. 



 Voila!  Here's my finished project.  Hopefully this will inspire some of you to get your craft on.  Good Luck!


A Milk and Cookies Affair

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Jess These are more then awesome and so simple

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: