Tuesday, 17 July 2012

'Make It Yourself' Series: Hamburger Buns!

Wow, it's already week number two for my new series 'Make It Yourself'.  Has anyone else tried to make peanut butter, yet??  If so, I would definitely love to hear about it!


This week, I'm featuring my homemade hamburger buns.  Don't worry.  I'm not completely ridiculous - I used a bread machine for all the manual labour!  I have a crazy obsession with my bread machine and I would say I use it at least 5 times a week (stay tuned for more bread machine recipes!).  I'm not sure if anyone has noticed the price of buns and bread lately, but I have and I'm taking a stand!


You can buy a 5 kg bag of flour for $10.00.  That's right - the price of  5 loaves of bread IF you buy the cheap nasty stuff.  Same goes for burger and hot dog buns (yes, we do eat hot dogs in this house!).  Now, you also need a few other ingredients, but they can all be purchased in large quantities and they will last a long time.  I'm talking about yeast, sugar/honey, salt, dry milk powder or milk and a few other items depending on the recipe you choose.


I found a great bread machine hamburger bun recipe here.  It's easy to make (aka it's easy to put the ingredients into the bread machine pan) and it takes about 3 hours - maybe a little less.  This recipe makes 12 regular sized burger buns - but tonight I was able to squeeze out 26 (2 bakers' dozen??)  slider buns.  Sliders were on sale this week :D


You can follow the link above for the recipe, but I'm also going to type it out with my changes for slider buns.


Ingredients
1 1/4 cup warm milk
1 beaten egg
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt (I forgot this today and you couldn't tell!)
3 3/4 cup bread flour (I used whole wheat bread flour)
1 1/4 tsp yeast


Combine all ingredients in bread machine pan and turn on to dough setting - mine is 1 1/2 hrs long.  When dough setting is complete turn dough onto floured surface and cut in four equal pieces.  Roll each piece to 1/2 inch thickness.  Cut out 6 small circles from each quarter of dough using inverted glass.  I used a small juice glass which was about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.  Place on greased cookie sheet and cover in warm space.  I heat the oven to 200 and then shut it off while leaving the dough inside to rise.  After about an hour the dough should have doubled.  Once doubled, bake on 350 for about 10 minutes until it starts to brown.


The buns after rising in the oven...they don't look that big, I know.

The finished slider buns!
I have no idea how much a package of slider buns costs, however, I know a package of 8 hamburger buns is around $2.49.  That comes to about $0.31 per bun.  It's a bit soon for me to calculate the cost of a homemade bun.  Once I get through my 5 kg bag of flour, I'll have a better idea.  So far, I'm half way through the bag and I've make 5 loaves of bread, 12 regular sized hamburger buns, 26 slider buns and 2 batches of pizza dough.  I'm going to go ahead and predict that it's slightly more time consuming, but definitely cheaper.  


One thing I know for sure, homemade hamburger buns are WAY more delicious!!


This was the only pic. I got of Ella eating her dinner...most dinner and lunch times she puts the food she's not eating on her placemat - she'll go back for it later.
Look at that delicious slider bun!

Harrison is digging right in!

He took a break to pose for me

Adam also posed for me...yes, he is posing here.  Apparently he made this face in the hopes that I would put this on the blog.  
For the peeps who have absolutely no interest in homemade hamburger buns - here are a few pics of the kids 'driving' in Pops' van after their baths.


You can't tell from the picture, but Ella was driving AND dancing to the music.

Harrison's had enough and he's climbing out the window!


Thanks for reading :D




4 comments:

  1. Great Blog Jess ... you need to spend time comparing receipes with Martha.. he loves making bread and pizza dough. The price of a loaf of bread is going to rise too so you are smart to use the bread maker *this too is information from Martha) Martha knows. Great job.

    Sue and Al(Martha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I look forward to discussing bread machine recipes with that Martha of yours!

      Delete
  2. I have two words for you - nice buns.

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: