Sunday, 19 August 2012

An OEYC Miracle!

 OK - so the title of my post today may be a tad dramatic.  However, there is some exciting news to share!  Remember my post from the beginning of July:  'A Few Summer Goals'.  You know, the one where I set a bunch of goals for the children and only one for myself.  If you haven't read it, go ahead and check it out and then come right back here...



This picture has nothing to do with my post today - I just thought it was cute.  Ella climbed up on the couch and wanted to 'get in my sweater'.  Perhaps something to do with the baby kangaroo she was watching on TV?

...So now that we're all up to speed on my goals for the kids - let's focus on Ella.  I have been hoping and praying (well, hoping anyway) that she would come out of her shell just a teensy weensy little bit.  She talks about her friends at home, but when she's around them she doesn't say a word.  She's shy - whatever.  

We signed up for a program called Alphabet Snoop at the OEYC (Ontario Early Years Centre) this summer.  It was six weeks (one day each week) of getting together with the same small group of children to learn about the alphabet and rhyming.  Each class began with a circle time nursery rhyme then the kids broke into independent activities and the class ended with another circle activity.  

For the first three weeks, Ella was pretty much stuck to my knee during circle time.  Most of the other kids would crowd around the group leader to listen to the story or nursery rhyme, but not Ella.  I know she would never take the initiative to go up by herself, so I mentioned to her every so often that she could go up with the other kids if she wanted.  Finally, a couple of weeks ago she moved up ever so slightly towards the group (mostly because she got to hold one of the props).  It was pretty exciting.  

The big finale (and reason for my post title) came last week, our final week, when she spent the entire circle time (both beginning and end) with the other kids (?!).  Of course, there was no talking - only nodding and pointing - but she actually sat with the other kids and participated in the activity.  I was so proud!  Technically, not a miracle, but it was pretty darn amazing.

Unfortunately, I have no proof of this participation of Ella's, so you'll have to take my word.  I do, however, have some pictures of the lovely artwork she created throughout the 6 weeks in the program.  


Letter stamps - note she wasn't trying to spell any words here.

Letter E collage

Little Miss Muffet Storybook

Ella's very own name-tag - at the beginning of each class the kids had to go in and recognize their name from a pile of other name-tags

Jack and Jill storyboard

Mouse craft (Hickory Dickory Dock)

Humpty Dumpty puzzle and more letter stamps

Cat puppet
I should also note - the goal of the program was for the children to recognize the first letter of their name.  Ella already knew the first letter of her name (as well as the other 3 letters in her name) going into the program.  I still wanted her to go, though, for the social aspect as well as the other amazing learning activities they provide at the OEYC.  

As far as the other goals I set for Ella, she definitely watches less TV and she's becoming more independent every day...if we push her a little (again, I'm talking three-year-old independent:  pulling up and down her pants, putting on and taking off her shoes, getting her own books from the shelf).

  
A little about Harrison, you ask?  Well, poor Harrison had what I would call a 'miserable' day.  He's in the middle of cutting out his morning nap - some days he has one and some days he is fine without.  Today I decided we should try to keep him up until 11:30 am and then give him lunch and one long nap.  I thought he was ready.  I was wrong.  

He started getting cranky around 10 am.  By 11:30 am when he was having lunch, he was so tired that he was almost falling asleep while eating his lunch.  I felt awful - but it was also pretty funny.

His eyes were just about to close here and his head kept bobbing up and down.
Almost out!
I tried to take his plate away a few times, but he would get upset and perk up for a few minutes.  What a funny boy.  Anyways, I managed to get his plate away from him and he went straight to bed for about 2 1/2 hours.  Perfect!  We probably won't be doing that tomorrow, though.  I'll give him a little more time with the morning nap.

Thanks for reading :D

2 comments:

  1. Good for Ella, she has made great progress. Little Harry has such a sad face. The morning nap was calling him loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Ella!! I'm so sad that I wasn't there to see it :(

    Harrison is adorable as usual...can't wait to be his mother-in-law ;)

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: