Thursday, 9 August 2012

Camping At The Pit: Part Two

So - welcome to part two of the camping at The Pit adventure (missed part one?  Check it out here).  I believe I left off with the kids going to bed on Saturday night.  Ella got into bed shortly after the marshmallow thing, and she wanted me to lay with her for awhile...so I did.  I was almost asleep when the fireworks started.   That's right, the fireworks.  Somehow, Harrison slept through the band and the fireworks, but not Ella.  She was up and wanting to go and see what was happening - luckily, she wasn't scared.  

We took her over to the pond where they were setting off the fireworks and she was quite amazed.  We caught the last 5 minutes of the show.  Finally, we got her into bed and asleep.  Adam, my mom and I sat around the trailer and talked for awhile because it was close to the tent and our monitor wasn't working.  We also went over to the pavilion to hear our boy Scott Fleming sing a few numbers (woo!).  Adam and I were in bed by 11:30 - maybe even sooner.  

Like I mentioned earlier, Adam, Ella and I were all crammed on that small air mattress.  Ella and Adam started off sharing a side (to my surprise and delight!) but she quickly moved her way over to my side.  That's when the trouble started.

I managed to fall asleep off and on for a few hours, but I woke up when the rain and thunder started.  The band was still playing away but I think they stopped for a bit when the storm hit.  There was lightening too.  I wasn't happy.  Soon there was water leaking into our tent from the top and we had no idea where it was coming from.  

Ella soon woke up followed by Harrison.  There was no way I was going to stay sleeping in that tent with thunder, lightening and rain.  Adam was okay, but I definitely wanted out of there.  We grabbed a few things plus both kids and ran to the van and drove home...at 3:30am.  

Now, I would call myself an'experienced camper'.  We camped at least one full week every year from the time I was born until I was about 16 or 17 years old.  I can handle some rain.  However, when I'm already slightly sleep deprived and exhausted from having two kids, there is no way I'm going to compromise my sleep any further.

We made it home and into our warm dry beds by 4am.  Thankfully, the kids slept until about 7:30am.  We headed back out to The Pit for breakfast around 8 or 9am.  Harrison had to wear Ella's old rubber boots because he didn't have any - without having any rain all summer, there was simply no need!



For breakfast, we had delicious eggs, bacon and toast...as well as orange juice, a rarity for us.  We were also smart and brought back Harrison's stroller so he could eat breakfast in it instead of the Bumbo.  The kids each ate two bowls of oatmeal plus scraps from our plates.  Camping must work up an appetite?!




After breakfast, we got to spend some time walking around with the kids.





Pops also attempted to take Harrison and I for a ride on his Argo, but it ended up being way to jerky.  We lasted about 45 seconds.



Ella had her turn on the Argo, but she pretended it was a boat instead of riding in it with Pops.  She finally got to use those paddles!



I'm pretty sure she is explaining something to Adam in this picture.  



After some fun around the camp, Adam packed up the van...



...and we headed home for our next adventure.

It figures that it (not only rained, but) thunder-stormed on the one night we camped all summer long.  Next time we take two kids camping we will plan to go for longer (I'm not packing up all that stuff again for only one night) and we will be more prepared for rain - you just never know!

Thanks for reading :D



6 comments:

  1. What is the actual point of the Argo? I have a feeling Harry is going to be loving it next summer when he's a real big boy!
    Glad to hear you guys had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - the Argo is apparently very useful because it can go on land and in water...as was tested out on Saturday afternoon. I have yet to see the Argo shine.

      Delete
  2. haha....and that is why I prefer trailers!!! Looks like it was a lot of fun (minus the going home due to rain part) as the pit usually is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the pit is always a good time...a bit more stressful when there are kids there that belong to you!

      Delete
  3. I am glad it turned out ok in the end. You need a trailer. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - we do need a trailer!! One that is big and free..LOL

      Delete

You May Also Enjoy: