Tuesday, 21 August 2012

"Make It Yourself" Series: Mac and Cheese!

Today I made macaroni and cheese for the kids' for lunch...I was at a delicious North Carolina book club lunch!  Anyways - mac and cheese.  So easy and cheap to make - so expensive to buy.  Although store bought macaroni and cheese is delicious (especially the new white cheddar!), it is a whopping $1.00 per box (and that's the cheap stuff or the sale price of the 'good stuff').    That doesn't sound like much, but I can remember when it was $0.50.


So I found an amazing mac and cheese picture on Pinterest (side note:  my mac and cheese didn't turn out a delicious looking as the pic. I found on Pinterest...not enough cheese??) and followed the link to find the recipe is originally from Allrecipes.com.  

Here's what you'll need:

8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups sharp cheddar (I used Old and next time I would use more)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3 cups of milk (I would use 2 to 2 1/2 next time)
1/4 cup of butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons of flour
2 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 pinch Paprika

Here's what you do:
    Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.

    (yes, I do realize how dirty my stove top is...)

    In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.

    It's also helpful to have a cheese-grater helper...





    ...but make sure she doesn't eat all the cheese!


    The mixture will be very soupy after you add the liquid to the macaroni...it won't be like that when it comes out of the oven.

    Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.

    Ready to go in the oven!
      Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.


      I wasn't home to get a shot of the mac and cheese fresh out of the oven...so here's  a pic of the half-eaten casserole.

      Like I said, I wasn't home for lunch.  Unfortunately, Adam reported neither of the kids wanted their mac and cheese (boo!).  We both like it, though, so we're set for lunches for awhile!

      This freezes well and it makes a ton.  Hope you will enjoy!


      This post is linked to these parties - check them out!

      Thanks for reading :D

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      You May Also Enjoy: