Tuesday, 7 August 2012

'Make It Yourself' Series: Pita Bread!

My inspiration for this week's 'Make It Yourself' project came from (where else) Pinterest.  I found a crazy-easy recipe for Pita Bread.  We LOVE eating pitas over here, so there was no way I could pass by this recipe without giving it a try.  The original recipe comes from Under the High Chair, and you can check out the pin on my 'Food - Yum' Board on Pinterest.  

So like I said, the recipe is pretty darn easy.  I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the dough hook.


- Dissolve 1 Tablespoon of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of warm water for about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 1/2 cups of flour then knead with hood for a few minutes until a batter forms.
- Add 2 more cups of flour and knead for about 8 minutes.  Add more flour if dough is too sticky.
- Turn dough into a lightly floured surface and divide into the number of pitas you would like.  I wanted 8, but somehow I ended up with an extra one...
- Roll each into 1/4 thickness.  Try to make the thicknesses as uniform as possible...that's where I went a little wrong.  I may or may not have been rushing.
- Let rest for about half an hour until they puff up slightly.  The picture below shows the 'puffed' pita dough.


- Place on cookie sheets in 425 deg. pre-heated oven.  Watch them puff!  They will take about 10 minutes in the oven.  Check out the puffing after about 5 minutes...


Here are a couple of pics of the finished products.  They didn't all puff up like they were supposed to, but they were still delicious!  




My only complaint is they were a little too crisp to stuff.  They would have been excellent to use with a dip, but unfortunately I had this whole chicken pita dinner thing planned.  We managed anyways and I would definitely make them again.  Next time I'll take them out of the oven sooner in hopes of a softer pita.

I forgot to check on the price of a package of pitas.  I think they are usually anywhere from $3 - $5 depending on the brand, size and number of pitas.  This recipe is dirt cheap to make if you're buying your ingredients in bulk (and even if you're not).  I used a mere fraction of my flour, salt and yeast supply for 1 dinner's worth of pitas.  Definitely worth making these!!

Now for something completely different....

Here's a look at Princess Ella during dress up time.  Please note:  she is wearing two princess costumes (one on top of the other), a tiara, gloves, a pearl bracelet and a flower purse.  Despite this wonderful costume, all she wanted were some dress-up shoes.  'Where are the dress-up shoes' she kept asking, just like she'd lost her best friend.  I have to say, I felt her pain.  When I was younger, I would have killed for those amazing 'high heel' dress up shoes they make for little girls.  I knew so many other kids that had them, and they really would have enhanced my dress-up collection.    


 I may have to go searching for some princess dress-up shoes...



Thanks for reading :D



I'm linking up this recipe!  Check out my link parties here.

3 comments:

  1. Ella you are a beautiful princess with or without the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest follower here! I found you through the Wednesday recipe link up! Thanks for the recipe, it looks so yummy!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up to Wonderful Food Wednesday. This is a really neat idea. Hope you found some princess shoes.

    Kerrie
    http://familyfoodtravel.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: