Monday, 13 August 2012

"Make It Yourself" Series: Turkey Burgers...or Beef Burgers

One of the meals I've been making on my own lately are burgers.  There are some tasty pre-made burgers out there (especially of the President's Choice variety), but there's nothing quite like a homemade burger.  Over the years I've become more and more outrageous with the ingredients.  I used to do the basic egg, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.  I have discovered, however, that when it comes to making burgers, the possibilities are endless!

This week I made burgers using ground turkey - because it was on sale - but I normally make beef burgers.  I put out some of the ingredients I use when making homemade burgers...you might want to avoid using all of these at once because then you are on flavour overload.  One or two should do the trick.

(Clockwise starting at 12:  homemade breadcrumbs, mushrooms, ground meat, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, egg, mashed sweet potatoes or squash, cheese, Montreal steak spice, seasoning salt, salt and pepper)  These are just the tip of the iceberg!  
 To make your own burgers you want to start by putting the ground meat (about a pound) into a large bowl. I like to add in all my 'exotic' ingredients before adding the essential egg and crumbs.  For my turkey burgers, I added in three chopped mushrooms (if you leave the pieces too big the burgers don't stick together well), 1/2 cup of grated cheese, 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potatoes, a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce and a shake of seasoning salt.  Because I added in sweet potato, I only added one egg (I would normally use two for a pound of ground meat).  Then I added enough breadcrumbs to make a mixture that forms a ball (about 1 and a half handfuls).  You will get the best mix if you use your hands, but make sure to let your ingredients sit on the counter for a few minutes because it's not fun to mix cold ingredients with your hands!


We had to cook on the indoor grill because it was raining!

After everything is mixed up really well, get out some parchment paper or waxed paper for your patties.  I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the patties, and I use a plastic lid to mush it down into the perfect burger shape.  Maybe you have a lid like this laying around the cupboards at home...or maybe you're really cool and you have a hamburger patty-shaper.  In any case, I made three regular sized patties and 2 sliders for our dinner.  I also had three regular sized patties left-over.  I can usually get about 9 patties per batch of homemade burgers...apparently, that didn't work out for me this round.



Here is Adam's masterpiece burger plus homemade fries!



Ella is always happy to have a burger because it comes with a bun!




And Harrison, is always happy!

Hope you get to make a batch of your very own homemade burgers before summer is over.

Thanks for reading :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Enjoy: