Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Felt Scrap Birthday Party Invitations

Hi all!  Today I've been working away on some invitations for Ella's birthday party which will be at the end of the month.  Ella wants to have a Dora the Explorer party (surprise surprise), so I'm trying to do it as tastefully as possible.  Let's be honest folks,  most of the Disney/Nickelodeon stuff is ugly as heck...but the kids love it.  I cringe at the thought of a Dora the Explorer bedroom, but I can handle a birthday party.





I had some inspiration from Pinterest (pinspiration?) for the invitations.  I found this picture floating around Pinterest.  It comes from a post on Quince and Quire where the author used scraps of felt to  make a cute banner.  I pinned it right away because I knew it would come in handy with all the scraps of felt I have around here (Check out my Etsy shop to see why I have so many felt scraps!).


some of my scrap felt

I decided to go with purple shimmery invitations because purple is one of the main 'Dora colours' (in my head, anyway).  I refused to put a picture of Dora on the actual invitation for a couple of reasons:  1) The kids coming to the party are still young enough that they probably won't give a crap about an invitation anyway, 2) The parents (the ones reading the invitation) definitely don't want to look at Dora if they end up displaying the invitation for any period of time in their home.  Two very valid reasons.  Don't worry, Ella, there will be pictures of Dora at the party!

I wanted to keep the invites fairly simple, so I decided to sew a party banner of felt scraps across the top of each invitation.  Let me just say, it was ridiculously easy to sew on paper.  All the banners are a bit different, so each invitation is unique.  




To sew the felt scraps onto the invitations, I had to feed the paper through the sewing machine fairly slowly.  I tried to put all the felt in place before sewing, but some of the pieces kept moving, so I had to place them as I sewed.  It took me about 30 seconds for each invitation.  






To finish off the invitations, I used a white craft pen to write all the party details.  As I wrote earlier, the invites are very simple.  The felt banners represent the fiesta to come - that's my Dora tie-in..LOL.  :D



If you don't receive an invite for Ella's party, it's nothing personal!  We're just having a small party with some of her friends.  I'll post pics of the party in a few weeks! 

Thanks for reading :D



This post is linked up to these parties.  Check them out to see some amazing projects!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you on Pintastic Monday at Sarah Dawn Designs! I have thought about sewing felt onto paper to make an invitation. What a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, I have a hard time coming to terms with Disney/Nick themed anything. I love that you are going a little more sophisticated than a big Dora head. Thanks for linking up last week to Pintastic Monday.

    You are being featured today over at my new co-hosts blog.

    http://justdawnelle.blogspot.com/2012/09/pintastic-monday.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful invitation! I like the idea to be simple.

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: