Monday, 22 October 2012

DIY Fort Using A Folding Table!

Finally - another project!  My crafts and sewing projects are few and far between these days, I know.  But I managed to get it together last Friday to make this super duper (Ella's words) Fort using some scrap material and a folding table.

I did this entire project (minus the fabric ironing as you can see below) while the kids were napping - so less than 2 hours.



The idea was to make a fort that does NOT involve pinning blankets to the walls of the living room (sorry to ruin your fun, Adam).  I also have a TON of fabric that was given to me, so I have been wanting to use it for something.



How do you make your own fort to fit over a folding table, you ask?  Well keep reading, and you'll find out :D

The first thing I did was pull out our folding table.  It's pretty long (6 feet), but you could also do this over a smaller table (I'm thinking a square card table would be PERFECT!).

I also pulled out all of my large pieces of scrap fabric, pins and scissors.

Here's my process - step by step:
  1. Place one piece of material over the table top and cut to fit the length/width of the table top.  I left another inch around the perimeter for seams.  Leave this piece on top of the table - the side facing up will be the wrong side.
  2. Depending on how many large pieces of material you have (or how many different colours you want to include), cut strips the same length as the table height.  
  3. Pin these strips around the perimeter of the fabric covering the table top.  I overlapped some to be 'doors', and I sewed some together after I sewed them across the top.
  4. Sew all the seams then throw it back over the table to create the fort!


Initially, the kids LOVED this.  Ella went right in, and Harry walked around the outside for a bit before joining her.


Ella had a nice time with her bear and Pony inside the fort.  Of course, I was only permitted to take pictures of these friends and not her.


Usually, these two kids love playing in forts.  Perhaps their joy comes from moving the couches all over the place and putting tiny pin holes all over the walls...


The fort fun on this day didn't last too long.  I was asked to take it down so Ella could 'play puzzles'.  Oh well - You can't win 'em all!

Thanks for reading :D



PS - Don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY!  Only 6 more days!

13 comments:

  1. yes, yes and yes... what a clever idea...

    Aloha,
    Following ya now from Monday Mingle and lovin' it. If you are up for a bit of a ride come join me as we ride the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com-- guaranteed to be filled with ups and downs and everything in between and I'd love to have you with us.

    xoxo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making forts like that when I was younger! So much fun!! Adorable kids!

    Southern Glamourista

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun fort! My kiddo just loves stuff like this! Thanks for joining us at the CHQ blog hop! Happy to be following you on Twitter! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for the follow :D I'm sure i'll be back!

      What is it about these simple things that can (usually) entertain for hours?! :D

      Delete
  4. hi, i'm following the GFC blog hop. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks,
    new follower bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev :D I'm heading over to check out your blog!

      Delete
  5. Isn't that how it is? When you get all into it and don't mind them keeping it up, they kindly ask you to take it down. When you need to take it down, they are so sad and wanted to keep playing. :) That must be true of kids the world over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! My little man would love this :o)

    Thanks for hopping with us at the CHQ Blog Hop this week! Hope you've made some new bloggy friends!
    xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the cut out hole in the fort for your son to look through. This is a nice idea and the colors make it look very playful.
    i am following you now on FB and your blog and would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/10/tidbits-of-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it just so awesome when you kids love what you create for them! I can see hours of fun spent in the new fort. Thank you for sharing it with us on A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like so much fun!My girls would love this!New follower from the blog hop!http://www.erika-shineon.com/Come by and say hi,and maybe folllow back?:) I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: