Sunday, 4 November 2012

Lunchtime Ideas

Anyone else feel like they are running out of lunchtime ideas for the kiddies?  How many times a week can one person eat peanut butter and jam...I'll tell you, it's 7 times.  I've recently had to make a fridge list with all the possible lunch ideas because when lunch time rolls around, I can never think of anything to make and the kids request the same things every day.

Here's the current lunch menu on our fridge:

-sandwiches and soup (PB & J, ham and cheese, grilled cheese)
-cheese and crackers with yogurt and fruit
-chicken fingers
-mini pizzas
-macaroni and cheese (which harrison doesn't eat so we rarely have this)
-alphagetti ( I make a mean homemade alphagetti)
-toasted english muffins with pb or cheese
-bagels with cream cheese (oh ya, neither will eat cream cheese)
-pb and banana wraps
-hot dogs (this happens once every two months or so..when I'm feeling weak).

Soup and a sandwich used to be the most popular lunch time request.  I make a delicious Butternut Squash and Tomato soup (from the wonderful Jessica Seinfeld) that seems to be pretty well-liked around here.  Thankfully, because it is chalked full of vegetables.  

Recently, I started using a new system for storing the leftover soup (to be used throughout the week).  Anyone who's ever made their own baby food will know what I'm talking about.  Usually I put all of the leftover soup into one large container and freeze it, but that seems to be more of a waste of soup than anything.

I decided to put the leftover soup in muffin tins for freezing...



...and once frozen, I pop them out and into dishes.  This works perfectly because I can pull out a a couple of servings of soup at a time.



The kids think it's pretty smart!  



Any lunchtime ideas??  I'm always looking for something different...

Thanks for reading :D

4 comments:

  1. new[est] follower. loving this post and your blog! can't wait to keep following along!

    stop by sometime!
    kalobandelise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You covered most of our regular lunches!

    Only thing I didn't see was quesadillas. I like them because I can toss about anything in them and my kids will eat them. Great way to use up the last little bits of meat and veggies from the week. Today we're using up leftover bell pepper strips and pepperoni, but sometimes we use shredded pork or chicken, black beans and of course cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids almost always have a pretty boring breakfast (toast, cereal, yogurt). So about once or twice a week their lunch is simply "hot" breakfast foods. French toast, pancakes, and those little eggs and pastry that you make in a muffin tin. Then I just give them some fruit and cheese and they're pretty happy. Oh and more often than not...lunch is simply leftovers from dinner the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat. I can handle dinner, but I find lunch and breakfast are definitely horrible and very repetitive. I love the idea of freezing the soup too. I'm going to try it out.

    New follower from Mom's Monday Mingle
    http://smilesnsnuggles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: