Today I spent a few hours putting together this ADORABLE little vest. It is made from an old pair of my dress pants as well as one fat quarter I bought at Wal-Mart. I printed off the PDF pattern from A Place in the Cloud. After printing it, the pattern was super easy to assemble and the instructions were (hmmm) moderately easy to follow. However, for a more advanced sewer, the instructions would probably be pretty easy too.
I made a few mistakes (which I will review later) and I didn't get around to adding any buttons...mostly because I couldn't find three that matched.
You can find the step-by-step instructions from the link above, or you can try to follow my pictures and vague descriptions (it's almost midnight here people).
Here we go:
First thing I did was cut out all of the pieces. I choose this cute red, white and blue pattern for the lining...it was just hanging out in my craft bin, anyway.
I pieced everything together before sewing - just to make sure everything was going to look alright.
Yep, looking good. Next, I sewed all the necessary pieces together....
|I'm not really sure the purpose of these pieces, but they should have been done with interfacing.|
|'The front lining'|
|I was supposed to leave open all four side pieces, but I accidently sewed one up! I had to back-track and rip out those stitches.|
Eventually, after all of that sewing and stitch-ripping and more sewing, I ended up with this little cutie.
By the time I was finished, Harrison was in bed. I'm not sure he would have been happy to model it, anyway. I will definitely try this pattern again using another pair of my old dress pants...and using the proper lining and interfacing materials!
-used doubled up dress-pants material instead of material plus interfacing (too thick)
-used doubled up material instead of thin liner for the back (too thick)
-mixed up which pieces were to be sewn (some holes were present at the end)
-should have had some buttons on hand!
Thanks for reading :D