Wednesday, 28 November 2012

This Year's Advent Calendar

Here's what we woke up to on Saturday morning:


Kids' reaction:  Yay!   
Adults' reaction:  Ahh!

The snow kept right on coming all week and is still falling as I type this post.  It put us into a bit of a panic to finally get our snow tires on, but mostly it put us into the Christmas spirit.  

December 1st is coming up in 3 days, so I need to get my butt in gear and organize this year's Advent Activities Calendar.  I was really wanting to find a nice wooden advent calendar for us this year.  Turns out they're kind of expensive, and I couldn't find one I absolutely loved.  We might be saving that for next year.  In the meantime, I found this adorable (and temporary) advent calendar while browsing on (you guessed it) Pinterest.


Photo Source: el blog de Holamama
I love it, and more importantly, I can make something like this without spending any money!  A couple of years ago, I bought a package of paper bags (when I only needed one or two).  The rest of the paper bags have been sitting in the cupboard, untouched, since then.




So, I rummaged through all of my crafting supplies and came up with several items to decorate these bags. 



Then I wrote a number (1 through 24) on each bag.  I tried to make each number slightly different from the last.



Lastly, I plan to add a couple of goodies to each bag (you know, for the kids) along with a slip of paper with the day's activity.  I'm thinking of using clothespins to hang each bag from a banner.  I haven't gotten that far, though.  Hey - there are still two full days left!



In other, more exciting, news.  This lovely little gadget arrived today...(it's so pretty!)...



All of my blogging prayers have been answered!  My regular laptop is slow (to sugar-coat it).  It is beyond frustrating trying to upload photos and cruise around on the web.  I'm SO excited to get started using it, but first I have to learn the new Windows.  Wish me luck...it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to turn it off for the first time.

I'll leave you with this adorable picture of toddler Harrison...he turned 18-months-old today (ahhhh!   I'm secretly freaking out).  It is (possibly) time for his first hair cut.  We had a fun time playing this afternoon while big sister took an extra-long nap.


Thanks for reading :D


5 comments:

  1. I love the calendar tree! What an adorable idea! I am following back from Friday Chaos! Thanks for linking up!

    -Logan
    www.southernsunflowersandcoffeebeans.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the advent calendar ~ Wonderfully creative ~ and one cutie ~ he is adorable ~ (A Creative Harbor ^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Harrison! Just a little snow before Christmas is ok. After that I could do without. I've seen that adorable calendar tree and LOVE it. We already have a little cabinet with 25 little drawers for treats, otherwise I'd have made something too. Or at least I would have thought about it lol.

    Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids do love snow! Your little man is a cutie. :)

    Congrats on the new laptop.

    Visiting from the No Rules Weekend Blog Party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful Advent Calender idea!

    I found you through a blog hop, glad I did! I look forward to reading your posts and am now following you! Come on by the Aloha Friday Blog hop and link up with us too!! It's easy and you could end up being next week's featured blogger!! Come on by to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop and link up if you please!! It's a great way to get more followers and we'd love to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: