Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Advent 2012 - Day Eleven: Decorating the Gingerbread House

 
 
Today we decorated the gingerbread house.  This activity was certainly exciting for both kids (and myself too).  Adam's not much of a sweets guy, but I think he had a fun time trying to keep Harrison under control.
 
Here are the kids before we started.  Notice Ella's eyes are locked into the gingerbread house.  She was so funny as I was trying to get the icing ready.  She kept fidgeting with the gingerbread house and at one point she tried to hold it up closer to my hands so I could put the icing on (can we say 'excited'?!  LOL).
 
 
 

The plan was for me to apply the icing and the kids would put the candies WHEREVER THEY WANTED.  Did you get that?  I let them put the candies on by themselves in no particular pattern...and I didn't have a panic attack from the disorganization.  It's kind of a big deal.

 

It took a few tries to teach Harrison that the candies weren't for eating, but he got it and was very helpful with the decorating.  He did manage to swipe one jelly bean, though.

 
 

This was a great practice activity for when we decorate gingerbread men (coming up next week sometime). 


 
 
As I mentioned last year in my gingerbread post, the pre-assembled gingerbread house is definitely the way to go.  A few years ago, I bought my first ever gingerbread kit where the walls and roof had to be assembled.  BIG mistake.  It takes forever for that icing to harden and my walls ended up caving in.  It tasted delicious, though!
 

 And here is our finished project!  Not too shabby.  I should mention we had a ton of icing leftover, so I went to town filling on all the empty spaces...if you're wondering why the icing is out of control.
 

Thanks for reading :D



6 comments:

  1. Well done,they are very artistic
    Great Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neil is doing this today with Claire because I don't know if I could cope with the whole "putting the candies anywhere". It's going to be a gong show and Neil will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Jessica Lynn, that disorganization thing always got to me also. So I know it is a big deal. LOL They did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Jessica Lynn, that disorganization thing always got to me also. So I know it is a big deal. LOL They did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house turned out perfect! We had major issues here. Following from adventure in domesticland. Love for you to stop by and return not the follow. Not of GFC though. I am going to wordpress tomorrow.

    I am hosting Like Me on Facebook now. Love for you to link up your facebook page :)

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: