Saturday, 1 December 2012

Advent 2012 - Day One: Christmas Decorations!

 
 
I could barely contain my excitement when I woke up this morning - the beginning of our advent activities!  Hooray!  I have been mentally preparing the blog for this series since last year (this should indicate to you that I am either really amazing, or really odd).  You can check out the activities from last year by clicking on December from the drop down menu on the left.
 
Firstly, I managed to get our advent calendar up and running.  It's a bit more put together than those paper bags I showed you the other day. 
 
 
So - today's activity was putting up the Christmas decorations.  We also got to see our friend The Elf on the Shelf (Steve) again.  The kids enjoyed pulling out all the boxes from our storage area, and they were especially happy to look through the Christmas books.  Take a look at today's events...
 

Adam got into the spirit by wearing Harry's cowboy hat.
Harry was happy to carry around this un-finished project from last year...I will finish it this year - I will, I will, I will.
Ella is posing with her most-favourite Christmas movie.  We are going on our third year with this movie - crazy!

Harry tried to climb up this mountain of decorations.

Harry also enjoyed a little time playing in the storage space under the stairs - now that all the boxes are cleared out!

The kids needed a break from decorating, so we busted out the Christmas colouring pages...

...note to everyone:  if you buy colouring pages from the dollar store, be prepared for tissue-thin paper and marker on your table.

Pops bought these three critters for Ella's first Christmas - the kids are finally old enough to appreciate their silliness!  (They all sing and dance together)

Ella modelling her antlers - or 'reindeer crown', as she calls it.
Ella is showing Harrison the book 'That's Not My Reindeer' - he loves those touchy-feely books.
Two geeks trying to take a picture of themselves...Adam made that face on purpose - for anyone that doesn't know him well.
One of the day's more exciting finds were these two plush snowmen.  Harry was more interested in playing the piano, but Ella had a lot of fun with them!
 
Harry and Daddy cozying up and Ella in her festive bat tutu.
 
I tried to snap a picture of the kids with their winter place mats, but someone snuck into the picture.
Lastly, my favourite Christmas decoration - the wooden tree.
 
We (I) still have a ton of decorations to put up, but I can't decide where to put most them...this could end up being a week-long activity.  In any case, it was a fun day full of Christmas music and Christmas cheer!
 
Until tomorrow...Thanks for reading :D
 



6 comments:

  1. New follower from the Super sync Hop. Hope you will hop over and follow back.

    Also, I host a weekly link-Up and I would love for you to come by and add some of your great ideas. It runs Wed-Fri. Hope to see you there!

    www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lady! Thanks for following...returning the favor :) I absolutely LOVE that Advent calendar! You did an awesome job on it. My daughter is a little young yet to understand it yet, but next year I'm definitely doing something like this. It's such a fun way to celebrate Christmas with the fam. And what a perfect first day activity...looks like you all had a blast! We'll be doing our decorations/tree overhaul tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you had fun with your decorating today :D

      Delete
  3. Hey - the calendar looks great! Good to know about the dollar store colouring pages :(

    Looking forward to seeing all the activities you planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I love your advent calendar.
    I'm your new follower rom NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!
    if you like follow back
    http://becreativemommy.blogspot.co.uk/
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Happy weekend! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: