Thursday, 6 December 2012

Advent 2012 - Day Six: Christmas Sensory Bin

 
 
We had such a fun and exciting activity planned for today - the Christmas sensory bin!  My friend Lindsay from the blog Know Better Now whipped up this amazing Christmas sensory bin for us...
 
 
 
Here are the contents of this bin:
 
-rice dyed with red and green food colouring
-different coloured plastic beads
-Christmas erasers (snowman,  Santa, polar bear and reindeer)
-different coloured bells
-glittery foam shapes of various colours (stocking, tree and snowflake)
-one mini nutcracker
 
All of these items came from the dollar store - I know, I was there!
 
The key to a great sensory bin is a variety of colours, shapes and textures.  While the kids played, I was happy to sit there running my fingers through the rice (great for kids AND moms!).
 
 This bin was great for Ella's age (three), but it also worked pretty well for Harrison (one)...except for all the rice he spilled on the carpet.  We also had to keep a pretty close eye to make sure he didn't eat anything.
 
 
Harrison was happy to transfer items back and forth from one bin to another.
 
 
These items have been 'fished' out of the rice.
 
 
 
One thing I found that was important for this activity, was to let each child play with the bin individually.  I'm all for sharing toys, but Ella was really interested in sitting up at the table (by herself), and when I let her, she played for quite awhile by herself - this is what we want, people!
 

 

At the end of the day, we are so happy to have this sensory bin.  I'm fairly confident the kids will be into it everyday this month.  You should make one too!
 
 
Thanks for reading :D
 
 



8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! help them develop their brains and senses, plus it's fun AND also good for adults with carpel tunnel in their hands! :)

    Come visit our Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you will!! It's a great and easy way to get followers to your lovely blog/website or to your Twitter/Facebook, etc...
    Link up your website and pages too! Aloha Friday Blog Hop {HERE}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! So happy she liked it! Honestly, Claire will explore hers for days, often for 45 minutes at a time :) We'll make another one in the new year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica, thank you for linking up with Friday Chaos Blog Hop. Following you my lovely =D
    Lotte xo
    http://www.youtube.com/bericebaby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be tempted to dig my hands right in there too! Great idea :))

    Thanks for sharing this and linking up you sweet Etsy shop with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could make a sensory bin for my daughter! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

    T'onna

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: