Thursday, 3 January 2013

This From That Series: Headband from an Old Shirt

I found this shirt in my pile of 'old stuff to repurpose'.  Although it's difficult to tell from these amazing pictures I took, it is brown ribbing with an embroidery/sequin/beaded collar.
 
 
 
 
The beading caught my eye right away.  I knew it would be great on a headband - I've seen some awesome vintage-inspired headbands on Pinterest just like this.
 
 
The first thing I had to do was actually make the headband.  I went with a super duper easy and stylish pattern for a turban-style headband from Honeybee Vintage. 
 
 
My headband turned out a little something like this...

 
After the headband was made, I (very carefully) removed half of the collar from the top of the shirt.  I decided to use only half of the collar because the whole collar was an odd shape and it was a bit too long to wrap around the headband. 

 
I pinned the collar onto the headband - placing it over the seam and not over the area where the band is twisted (the twisted part will go towards the back of the head).  I only sewed each end of the collar to allow for stretching of the headband.   

 
Here's the finished product. 


I snapped a few different angles...

 
 

 
 
I think this would have been a little nicer with a thinner band (maybe just an elastic) or one that ties at the back of the head.  I still have half of the shirt left, so I may fiddler around and see what I can come up with!

So that's it.  My This From That series is officially back up and running.  I have two garbage bags, one Rubbermaid tub and one dresser FULL of old clothes and materials begging to be used.  Until next week...

Thanks for reading :D


7 comments:

  1. I'm always so impressed by craft-y people. This would just never occur to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Jess. It is so mch fun to create from the clothes we do not wear. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you making the garter for the wedding....vintage style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of it and I think it looks like something from the flapper style era, doesn't it? I usually stick to the kitchen but I might have a go at something similar now you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so good repurposing your clothes! I wish I was more motivated to do this, the headband turned out great. Have you read P.S. I Made This? It's got some great ideas in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: