Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Summer Dinner Ideas: Easy Homemade Tortilla Wraps



I have been searching for an easy and delicious tortilla recipe for awhile now, and I finally came across this recipe  for Flat Bread from Social Café.   I was really craving a pita-type wrap (think Pita Pizazz quality) and this recipe delivered...big time.


 
 
The recipe is so simple - the only ingredients are flour, water, salt and yeast - all things I have in the house.  It takes a couple hours for the dough to rise, but mixing the dough only takes a few minutes.
 
You can visit the Social Café Magazine blog for the recipe, but I have included it below as well.
 
Ingredients:
 
-4 cups of flour
-2 cups of warm water
-2 1/2 tsp yeast
-1 tsp salt
 
 
 What to do:
 
-Mix water, yeast and salt in a large bowl.  Add the flour and mix until all the ingredients are combined.  I just used a fork to mix and I didn't have any problems getting the flour mixed in well.  Like I said, it only took a few minutes.
 
-Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for about 2 hours (to double in size).
 
-Turn out the dough on a floured surface and divide into 12 sections.  The dough is pretty moist, so you will want a good amount of flour on hand for rolling it out (otherwise it will stick to your counter).
 
-Roll out each section into a circle about 6 inches in diameter.  I recommend rolling one tortilla out as the previous one is cooking.  I found it hard to get them unstuck to the counter if they sat for a few minutes (plus I didn't use enough flour for the first couple).
 
-Place the round into a  dry frying pan (no oil or grease) and cook on med/high heat for about a minute on each side.  You will know to flip it when the dough starts to bubble a little.  I would say less is more on the cooking front.  If they stay in too long they won't be as pliable when it comes to making your wraps. 
 
I kept my stack of cooked tortillas under a towel to keep them warm until the rest of the dinner was ready.  You definitely want these babies to be warm when you eat them! 
 
 


Aside from the shenanigans that went on at our dinner table, our food was absolutely delicious...and no, we don't normally eat our dinner without shirts.

I also prepared some grilled chicken, grilled red peppers and mushrooms, romaine lettuce (from the garden!), bacon bits and, of course, shredded cheese.  I will probably make these once a week!

Thanks for reading :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Enjoy: