Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Ding! Dong! The Soother's Gone!


It has been an exciting afternoon in our house today!  And by exciting, I of course mean excruciatingly painful and annoying.  Harrison finally did the thing I haven't had the nerve to do over the last two years...destroy his soother.  Unfortunately for all of us, Harry destroyed his soother by accident.  I had a lovely plan of wrapping it up in a nice package for the 'soother fairy' and putting it in the mailbox to be exchanged for a special treat.  Things are going down a little differently than planned.




So here's what happened:

I put Harry down for his nap at noon today (his naps start early during the week so he's up in time to pick up Ella from school), and at 1pm he was still awake.  Not just awake, he was banging the walls and singing 'Pop Goes the Weasel'.  When I went into his room, his bed was moved about 2 feet away from the wall, his blankets were all over the place (as were most of the books from the book shelf), and he was sitting on his bed smiling.  I should stress this NEVER happens.  Harrison is asleep within 10 minutes of putting  him to bed (97% of the time).

I pushed his bed back, covered him up with his blankets and pulled his soother out from under the bed.  I went to rinse off the soother and that's when I saw it - the giant crack he has been chewing for the last couple of months.  I've warned him several times not to chew it...clearly, he didn't listen.

The events that followed were heart-breaking.

Harrison has two cries.  The first cry is what I like to call the 'tantrum' cry.  We've all heard it, and we all hate it.  It's the type of cry that results from not getting his way.  It's also the type of cry that I'm perfectly happy to walk away from. 

The second cry is what I like to call the 'my heart is broken into a million pieces and the world will never be right again' cry.  Not only can I not walk away from this cry, it puts me in tears as well.  This is the cry that came when I broke the news about his soother.

Most of me was really happy.  I have wanted the soother gone pretty much since it was introduced.  At first it was so helpful getting him to sleep - he was a sucker.  Very quickly, though, it became a giant pain in my ass.  Our asses.  However, he really loved his soother.


 

Here are my two major beefs with the soother:

1.  It falls out in the middle of the night and we have to get out of bed to put it back in (or fish it out from under the bed).

2.  It is a breeding ground for germs...especially when it lands on the floor a few times each night.  I can barely remember to clean the house, so forget the soother!


After about an hour of crying off and on, it was pretty clear that Harrison wasn't going to be napping today.  I convinced him to lay on the couch and watch 'Elmo Shapes' until it was time to go and get Ella. 




The real trouble may come tonight when it's bed time...I'm going to try and explain the soother fairy thing, but I have a feeling we'll be listening to a bit of crying tonight.  Stay tuned to see how it all turns out.




Thanks for reading :D



1 comment:

  1. I use to hate the cry that indicated the heart has been broken into. Million pieces. Hope that with each passing day it will get simpler with very little crying. The soother has very little security for a big brother like Harrison. Poor little thing.. But this too will pass and good luck. To all of y

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: