Monday, 20 January 2014
Homemade Fishing Set
It's finally time for me to get around to sharing the homemade fishing set I made way (WAY) back in May for Harrison's 2nd birthday. These little fishies were a hit with and without the fishing rod. The kids carried them around the yard all summer, and they made their way inside in the fall.
Both the fish and the rod were quick and easy to make. In case you're interested:
-several pieces of scrap fabric (fat quarters are great for these!)
-magnets (one per fish)
-thread, pins, scissors & a sewing machine
-paper & pencil
1. Draw yourself a fancy little fish pattern, a bit bigger than you want the finished product to be (to account for seam allowance and stuffing).
2. Pin pattern to material and cut out two pieces for each fish. Pin fabric right sides together.
3. Sew fish using about 1/4 in. seam allowance - leave back of 'tail' open. Turn inside out so ride side is showing.
4. Place one magnet inside material. Stuff fish with your filling keeping the magnet in place at fish's mouth. Sew remaining edge. I used a zig-zag stitch for this because the stitch was visible, and it looked cute!
The Fishing Rod
-stick of some sort
1. Cut yarn to appropriate length (depending on size of the kids).
2. Tie one end of the yarn to the end of the stick.
3. Use hot glue to attach the remaining end of yarn around the edge of the magnet.
*Depending on the thickness of the fabric or the strength of the magnets (ie. if you bought them from the dollar store like I did) you may need to use two magnets on the fishing rod.
For Harry's birthday party, we set up a fish pond using the kiddie pool, but the kids have no problem fishing on the floor. This is a great project to use up some of that scrap fabric that always seems to be lying around...plus it's guaranteed to be a hit with the littles.
Thanks for reading :D
You May Also Enjoy:
I promised a craft for this week - and here it is! The DIY Felt Sensory Book. I made this for Harrison, but Ella has played with it a few...
The activity I planned for today was making Christmas tree ornaments using the kids pictures. I quickly realized Ella was both not interes...
You didn't expect to see that giant belly in a bikini, did you? :D Here we are at 36 weeks. According to Baby Centre Canada the ...