Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Where Are All The Hats?

THAT'S DEEP....
 
Sooooooo.....it's -27 (-33 with the wind chill) again.  Awesome.  In the spirit of the polar vortex, I'm really just writing today to rant about kids who don't wear hats when it's this cold.  Let's begin.
 
This morning as I was getting the kids packed in the van to go to school, I saw THREE (and those were only the ones I noticed) kids without hats walking to school.  At first I blamed the parents, but then wised up to what was really happening here.  These kids are 1) devious and 2) dumb (that's right, I said it and I'll stand by it).
 
As one girl was walking by (red-eared and looking extremely cold), I shouted out to her and asked if she wanted a hat. "I have one in my bag," she replied.  Good spot for it...at least it won't get ruined if it's in your bag.  I decided to ask one more person just in case there really was a kid walking to school who needed/wanted a hat, and the reply was similar (kid:  it's okay, I have one.  me: uhhh, then where is it?). 
 
Baby Its Cold Outside
 
I get that hats aren't exactly glamorous when you're 12 - 13ish and trying to be as cool as everyone else in your class, but last time I  checked winter hats were 98% cooler than they were 20 years ago when I was in the same boat...and at the very least, put on your damn hood!
 
I would bet most of these kids have hats on when they leave the house in the morning only to promptly remove them and shove them in their bags when Mom and Dad are out of sight.  Of course, there are always the parents that don't pay attention, but that's a whole other issue.  Is it really worth freezing your ears/scalp off?
 
I can only hope that by seeing me wear a hat every single day the temperature is below 5 degrees, my kids will realize how important and useful it is.  I can't imagine being outside without a hat for even 2 minutes in this weather - not to mention for a 5 or 10 minute walk.  I vow to always buy my kids cool hats to increase the chances they will keep them on all the way to school. 
Baby it's cold outside.
I'm going to keep asking kids that walk by my house if they need a hat, just in case, but I can't be held responsible for anything I say to the ones carrying their hats in their bags.
 
Thanks for reading :D
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Way to go my dear, there are not the right people unfortunately that are going to read this ,hats off to you for putting that out there. For the ones that have pulled up their pants I guess they don't want it to crack more and don't realize that is way out of style anymore. I agree with you all the way and also the poor baby's you see without hats even on a windy day in spring

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Enjoy: