Friday, 14 March 2014

Quick and Easy Meatballs ~ Recipe


One of the weekly 'must-have' dinners around here is spaghetti.  Simply put - it's one of those meals that we know our kids will eat.  I've started letting Ella and Harrison each pick a dinner for one night.  Ella almost always picks spaghetti - it is [hands down] her favourite.

My usual spaghetti recipe goes a little something like this:

-brown a lb. of ground beef or turkey with mushrooms
-add to pasta sauce
-pour over cooked pasta

Nothing too difficult there.  However, neither of the kids are fans of ground meat.  They pick it out every time - or worse - they ask us to pick it out.  Then one night last week Ella asked if we could have spaghetti and meatballs for dinner.  Cue light bulb. I never make meatballs, due to laziness, but how clever would that be to make them instead of regular old ground meat!  Easy to pick out for the kids, but the grown ups still get to enjoy.

At this point, I set out to make the easiest [and tastiest] meatballs I've ever made. 

I am known to get carried away adding spices and other ingredients to homemade burgers, meatballs, sauces, omelettes etc..  But this time, I decided to try something different. Here is my new and improved spaghetti {and meatballs} recipe:

-in a large bowl combine 1 lb. ground beef or turkey, 1 egg, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and a few shakes of Montreal steak spice
-shape into balls (about 1 inch diameter) and place on greased cookie sheet
-bake at 375deg. [I forgot to time them, but they probably took about 15 minutes].
-add to pasta sauce
-pour over cooked pasta

Although there are a few more steps to making meatballs, I was impressed that they were so delicious by using only one type of spice (who knew it could be that simple?!).  That Montreal steak spice has become a staple in our kitchen - we use it on burgers, potatoes and even chicken sometimes (although, I now have Montreal chicken spice).

The real kicker is when I asked Ella is she wanted to try a meatball she said, "sure, but can you smush it up.  I only like smushed meatballs."  Right.

Thanks for reading :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Enjoy: