Our original plan for today was Christmas carol karaoke. We have a sweet Christmas microphone from last year (complete with an elf voice) and a lovely selection of kids Christmas CD's. That plan kind of fell through, so we made a batch of Christmas cookies instead. This is often our back-up plan.
Harrison was so lucky to do all the measuring and stirring himself - without having to take turns with Ella. He learned how to turn the mixer on and off and was surprised that it was 'too loud for his ears'. He especially enjoyed using the whisk to combine the dry ingredients. When I told him he had to do it gently, he barely even moved the whisk around. In the end I helped him out with that one.
We made a batch of Oatmeal Cranberry cookies (our first time making this recipe) and they were delish! Here's what I can remember of the recipe (yes, that's how I roll):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- Mix butter and both sugars together on low speed for 1 minute and then on medium speed for 1 minute. Add egg and vanilla and mix for an additional minute until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix on medium until combined. Stir in cranberries and oats.
- Bake at 350 for 7 to 10 minutes...depending on your oven and cookie size. Ours baked for 12 minutes.
Thanks for reading :D